6 Health Benefits of Drinking Water
As the saying goes, “Water is life” and as humans it is the one thing we absolutely cannot go without. It is generally recommended that we have eight glasses of water each day as it is an essential part of maintaining good health. Here are 6 health benefits of water:
1) Water keeps us hydrated. When you consume the daily recommended amounts of water, it supplies energy. Being dehydrated can make you feel tired which can lead to fatigue, muscle weakness, dizziness and other symptoms.
2) Water fuels the body for exercise. A dehydrated body is unsuitable for exercises and so it is recommended that you drink water before exercise for optimum effects and performance. And remember to drink water after exercise because the body becomes dehydrated from sweat and evaporation.
3) Water helps the kidneys to function properly. The water helps the kidneys to remove waste from the blood in the form of urine and helps in the movement of blood to and from the kidneys. The more water you drink the better the kidneys can flush toxins and waste from the body.
4) Water plays a major role in digestion. Water helps with the proper movement of foods and nutrients along the digestive system. In addition, water is essential to the excretion of waste from the body and can help to alleviate issues such as constipation.
5) Water intake can affect blood pressure. Drinking water is one way to naturally lower or balance blood pressure. Likewise not drinking enough water can lead to an elevated blood pressure.
6) Water is essential to having healthy skin. The skin is the largest organ in the body and it is often exposed to various irritants. Drinking enough water can help to rejuvenate it and supply a natural glow.
Make water drinking a HABIT
Drink a glass of water with each meal
Invest in a water bottle and carry it with you throughout the day - always ensure it is filled!
Keep water close by - at work keep a bottle always on your desk.
Feel like snacking? Try drinking water first
Substitute juices, coffee and any other sugary drink with water instead!
Track the number of glasses of water you drink each day. If the number is too low - drink up!